Pages

24 December 2015

Where Goes This Blog?


Blogging since 2007. I’ve had my share to say, admittedly and purposefully about my own personal family research, but also had something to contribute – I think – about researching Loyalist ancestors or bits of history or problem-solving along ancestral trails.   

The end of the year feels more like where is this blog going? It slowed down lately. Not that I have nothing to say or work on — “retirement” is just a word — but the production of actual family histories creates a vacuum in the wake. For a while. Besides, CamelDabbleTravelBabble and reviewing crime novels keep me well occupied as a change of pace from genealogy.

And ... there are numerous excellent writers of genealogy blogs doing what I do, with more energy and immediacy. The best are educational without preaching, spreading good advice on standards and methodology; it’s a pleasure to see them thrive. Unlike many of my geneablogging colleagues, I’m not trying to sell my business services to earn income or up my profile. They work hard for a market share in an ever-increasing field of genealogy service providers. (Disclaimer: I have been known at times to flog my books!)


Is it true that blogs are becoming irrelevant?  What’s that about? As it is, it’s hard to keep track of even the good ones. Is tweeting the latest favoured child of technology? I don’t tweet. Most writers instinctively rebel at such draconian word restriction, but it seems to suit the millennials and the instantly gratified. Although I find myself not reading as many blogs as I used to, I have loyalty and affection for the first bloggers I “met” and the Geneabloggers network. It’s an effort to add a comment to a blog but a well-written piece on a subject of interest that gives you a lift deserves its own little lift. 

There you have it. No, I have it - blogging is my medium. Shall I go more Canadian ... or indulge more in musing/amusing ... bury myself in ignored family branches ... or pack up and satisfy the travel bug? Ahhhh, time will tell. 

May 2016 be good to us all.  


© 2015 Brenda Dougall Merriman

5 comments:

Roger Harris said...

AND Brenda, I WISH FOR YOU THE BEST THERE IS, HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT, DURING THESE COMING YEARS AS YOU SLOW DOWN A BIT! THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE FROM WHICH SO MANY OF US HAVE BENEFITED! I KNOW YOU DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THE CATAGORY OF BEING "GOD'S GIFT" BUT MANY OF US WHO HAVE STRUGGLED THROUGH COMPLEX RESEARCH, HAVE FELT THE BENEFIT OF YOUR WISDOM AND INSIGHT....MANY TIMES! AND WE ARE GREATFUL FOR YOUR SHARING SPIRIT. WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE...WE ARE WITH YOU, GIRL!!! BLESSINGS.

BDM said...

Acknowledging that lovely comment makes me humble and happy.

Sheri Fenley said...

Brenda dahling! I would be tres sad if you stopped blogging. I adore and idolize you. However I know the camel calls to you.

Barbara Poole said...

Brenda,
You made me so happy many moons ago, when you gave a NGS lecture and mentioned my Canadian ancestor. Since then, I've looked at every camel picture on facebook! Kidding aside, I'll miss you, but believe me, I'm thinking of closing the blogging chapter as well, so I understand.
Do peek in to facebook when you can.
Many blessings on whatever you do.

BDM said...

I'm delighted that Sheri and Barbara came by! Thanks for the kind thoughts ... and I'm not pulling the plug yet :-)